May 21-27, 2018 is Healthy and Safe Swimming Week! This year it falls the week before Memorial Day, just in time for a long weekend in the water. This week focuses on steps everyone should take to ensure healthy and safe swimming experiences. Outbreaks of illness, drowning, and pool chemical injuries can be prevented by swimmers, parents, beach staff, residential pool owners, and public health officials. Check out the tips below on how to stay healthy and safe this Summer!
- Make sure everyone knows how to swim
- Use life jackets appropriately
- Provide continuous, attentive supervision close to swimmers
- Know CPR (for older children and adults)
- Prevent access to water when pool is not in use
- Don’t swallow the water
- Ensure that the chlorine and pH are at the proper levels